Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Redirect

I often find myself using the technique of redirection with my children.  For my 9 month old it is very easy.  She does not have object permanence yet, so simply removing the obstacle, temptation or danger does the trick.  It is literally out of sight, out of mind.  For my three year old it isn't as easy.  She or the item cannot simply be moved or removed and it is a done deal.  She remembers what she wanted and since reasoning and rationale have not fully developed in her, this often leads to a tantrum.  She doesn't have the foresight to see why jumping from the furniture, onto an exercise trampoline in socked feet is a recipe for disaster.  Nor can she understand why eating copious amounts of candy is not a grand idea. Yes, redirection for my three year old takes a bit more finesse and thought.

I realized recently that when it comes to redirecting, I am much more like my three year old than my 9 month old.  I remember what I wanted and why I wanted it so when God redirects my life a tantrum often ensues.  No, I rarely throw myself on the floor, kicking and screaming, but the anger and defiance is just the same.  I cannot tell you how many times I have been redirected and I defiantly stomp back to the very thing I know I should not be doing and press the issue again.  OR, I walk away but I am seething in anger because I am not getting what I want.  How juvenile!  And yet, time and time again as I gain a little distance between myself and the situation I realize just how much I need to be redirected.  Maybe the situation was a dangerous one and God had my well-being in mind.  Or perhaps the outcome He had in mind was far better than the one from MY path.  And other times, I have to wait on the reason for the redirection. (this is perhaps the most frustrating of them all...again I am not a good waiter)

Regardless of His reasons for redirecting my path, it is always for my good.  Always.  Romans 8:28 says '...in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to His purpose'. So why do I fight it? Why can I not see exactly what His redirection truly is...an opportunity to be in the CENTER of His will?  Instead of defiance and anger, this should be met with thankfulness and love.  He can see the big picture where I can see only my present circumstances.

Unfortunately, I cannot be like my 9 month old; out of sight, out of mind.  Nor do I want to be. I do not want to simply be redirected and forget or not notice the valuable lesson that God is teaching me.  Instead, I want to choose to be redirected and realize how amazingly lucky I am that Jesus loves me enough to stop me from running full speed ahead toward the edge of the cliff.

No comments:

Post a Comment